Green Card Lawyer in NYC

A Green Card allows a person to live and work within the borders of the United States permanently. A Green Card is also known as a Permanent Resident Card. Depending on your circumstances, you will need to take certain steps in order to attain one, including getting a sponsor to file a petition, filing the application, and attending meetings and interviews. If successful in your pursuit, you will need to carry the Green Card at all times. A Green Card provides a path towards citizenship, if you choose that path. The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta is dedicated to helping clients adjust their status and any immigration matter they face. If you need an experienced immigration attorney well-versed in the ever-changing immigration laws of the United States, contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta for a consultation.

First step: are you eligible?

The first step to adjust your status and obtaining a Green Card is seeing if you are eligible. The requirements vary and depend greatly on the immigrant category you are applying under. Once you are eligible, you may need someone to sponsor you, though, under certain situations, you can file for yourself. Said person will need to file a petition, the form itself depends on the relationship, and file it with immigration officials. If you are inside the United States, you will apply for an adjustment of status. If you are living outside the United States, you will need to go through consular processing.

The process

Generally, you or a sponsor will file a petition. Once the petition is approved, you can file a Green Card application or a visa application with the Department of State. The next step is to attend your biometrics appointment. During this appointment, you will need to provide fingerprints, photos, and a signature. After your biometrics appointment, you may need to attend an interview where USCIS officials will further question your application. If all goes well, you should receive a decision on your application soon after.

After you are granted a Green Card

If you are granted a Green Card, you will be required to carry it at all times. Under certain circumstances, your Green Card may have an expiration date of 10 years or 2 years. A 10-year Green Card must be renewed by filing a Form I-90. A 2-year Green Card cannot be renewed and the condition that limits the Green Card to two years must be removed within that time.

The benefits of a Green Card

There are great benefits to holding a Green Card. For one, your eligibility for employment is enhanced. You can also apply for a Social Security Card and a driver’s license. In addition, a Green Card acts as validation for readmission to the United State if you travel abroad for less than 1 year.

Contact an experienced immigration attorney

If you wish to pursue a Green Card, The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta is ready to help. We are honored to help clients achieve their life goals. A Green Card is a significant step, securing one’s place in the United States as a permanent resident. To discuss your immigration status or to retain the services of our firm, contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta today.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More