Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility Attorney in New York

There are reasons that prevent a person from entering the United States or change one’s status while in the country. For these people, one of their only hopes to change the course of their inadmissibility is an I-601 waiver. If you need to file an I-601 waiver, it is important to discuss your situation with an attorney. The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has been practicing immigration law for decades. We are dedicated to the future of every client, working to help them preserve their immigration status and achieve their goals in the United States. If you are interested in knowing more about our firm or to schedule a consultation to discuss your matter, contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta.

What is an I-601 waiver?

An I-601 waiver requests that a person deemed “inadmissible” by U.S. immigration be allowed to stay in the United States or continue the process of coming to the United States. For a number of reasons of inadmissibility, an applicant would have to demonstrate extreme hardship on a spouse, parent, or immediate family member if the applicant was not allowed.

Grounds for inadmissibility

There are many grounds that could stop a person from being admissible to the United States. Some of those grounds include health, criminal history, fraud, security risks, public charge, immigration violations, inability to fulfill document requirements, general ineligibility for citizenship, and previously removed aliens.

Inadmissibility for health reasons

Health conditions that put residents at risk in the United States can constitute the inadmissibility of a foreign person. If a person suffers from a communicable disease or mental disorder, he or she may be inadmissible to the United States. Additionally, if a person has not received the proper vaccinations, their eligibility may be in jeopardy as well as they are required for those applying for immigration visas. Some of the vaccines needed to enter or continue to stay as an immigrant include hepatitis A & B, influenza, measles, and meningococcal.

Inadmissibility for criminal history

An individual’s criminal history is one of the hardest things to overcome regarding immigration. If a person has been convicted of a crime in the past, their application or immigrant status could be in jeopardy. Crimes of moral turpitude could deny a person admissibility, including:

  • Homicide
  • Voluntary manslaughter
  • Domestic violence
  • Child abuse
  • Rape
  • Larceny
  • Drug crimes

Inadmissibility for security risks

Part of the immigration process in many cases is the interview and background check. When these occur, officials will look for reasons that a person could be a security risk to the United States. Any connections can put a person’s admissibility in jeopardy. Involvement or connections to people involved in terrorism, espionage, or a group of dangerous ideology could make a person inadmissible to the country. Unbeknownst to the applicant, a family member or friend could mean trouble. This matter deserves an attorney’s attention.

Inadmissibility for illegal immigration

Illegal entry to the United States or overstaying a visa can make an applicant inadmissible. For those who are deported or leave the United States voluntarily after a certain period of time, a 3 or 10-year bar could subject you to inadmissibility. You may be eligible for a waiver unless you stayed in the country for too long.

Contact an experienced New York City immigration attorney

Though most hope that the immigration process proceeds without issue, there are many factors that could get in the way. It is important to have an attorney guide you through the process. The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta is an experienced law firm dedicated to clients with immigration issues. For a consultation with an effective legal team, contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta today.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More