Adjustment of Status Attorney Located in NYC

The ability for a foreign person to live and work in the United States as a permanent resident is a significant accomplishment. People that have valid visas may have the opportunity to apply for a Green Card. The bridge between a visa and a Green Card when applying in the United States is called an adjustment of status. A person who achieves permanent residency will need to carry their Green Card at all times. Taking such a significant step deserves the attention of an experienced immigration attorney. The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta is a dedicated law firm focused on immigration law. We are honored to help clients through the process of attaining permanent residency. With so much at stake and with such a complex process, The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta is ready to represent you. Contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta to discuss your legal matter with an adjustment of status attorney, learn about your options, and retain our services.

What is an adjustment of status?

An adjustment of status for Permanent Residence is a procedure allowing an eligible person to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States while remaining in the country and circumventing the need for an immigrant visa.

Am I eligible for an adjustment of status?

Eligibility for an adjustment of status depends on the visa that allows you to live in the United States. The categories that allow a person to pursue an adjustment of status include:

  • Employment
  • Family
  • Refugee or asylum
  • Special programs (including humanitarian causes)

Sponsor/ Petitioner

Adjusting your status is a time-consuming process. For the most part, you will need to have a sponsor or petitioner. You may be eligible to file for an adjustment of status yourself under certain circumstances. While the goal is to file a Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), you may be required to have your sponsor file a certain petition and it be approved before filing an I-485, depending on your relationship to the sponsor.

Filing an I-485

With an approved petition, you are well on your way to the adjustment of status. If all is well, you can now file your I-485, the application itself. You may be required to attend an Application Support Center appointment where you will need to provide a photograph, fingerprints, and possibly your signature. Failure to follow direction or attend could mean a denial. In some cases, a person may be required to attend an interview with USCIS officials and bring original documentation provided for the I-485. In some situation, USCIS officials may send a request for more evidence if you did not satisfy the requirements, if the evidence is no longer valid, or if the officer determines that the evidence provided is not sufficient.

The Green Card

If you are successful in your pursuit of an adjustment of status, you should receive a Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card. You must have this card on your persons at all times. As a lawful permanent resident, you can now enjoy the benefits of your status or work towards citizenship.

Contact an adjustment of status attorney

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta is experienced in helping clients in a range of immigration matters. If you are interested in pursuing an adjustment of status, it is important to have quality legal support to guide you through the process. The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta recognizes the significance of working towards a Green Card and we will do everything to help you accomplish this feat. Contact The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta to discuss your legal matter and get the support you deserve from an adjustment of status attorney.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More