Through consular processing, those who have emigrated to the United States may be able to acquire a visa at the U.S. Department of State consulate to live in the country as a permanent resident. This process can be beneficial for those that want to move to the U.S. from a foreign country. They may be able to pursue their goal of acquiring a status as a resident and continuing on with their lives in America. To be considered for this process, first applicants must be eligible. To apply for consular processing, you must have a familial or working relationship in the United States and be able to establish this relationship. In addition to this condition, you may also apply for refugee, asylum status or another provision that allows you to enter the country. Immigrants that have a sponsor due to familial or employment ties can have a petition filed on their behalf by this individual. Based on which category you fit into, you may be eligible to file your own petition to request entry into the United States.

What happens after the application is approved?

Once your application is approved by the USCIS, it will be sent to the Department of State’s National Visa Center. If your petition has not been approved, the USCIS will send a notice with the reason for why it was denied and whether you may be entitled to appeal this decision. If the petition is granted approval, you should wait for a visa number to become available. During this time, you may have to pay visa application fees and may be required to provide supporting documents that are asked of you.

When a visa becomes available and you are next to receive one, you will have an interview with the consular office scheduled. At this meeting, you will be questioned about your eligibility and further information regarding your status in the United States. Once your case is processed, a a final decision will be made. If the final decision grants you access to receive a visa and reside in the U.S., you will need to pay the USCIS immigration fee. Then you will be provided with a visa packet that will be opened by U.S. Customs and Border Protection upon your arrival in the country. If you are admitted into the U.S., you will be considered a lawful permanent resident, meaning that you are allowed to live and work in the country on a permanent basis. You must carry your green card at all times to prove your status.

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has over 25 years of experience guiding clients through a variety of immigration legal matters, some of which include deportation defense, petitions, and waivers. If you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney with the skill to effectively represent you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More