Each year, students from all over the world come to the United States to attend some of the esteemed academic institutions that the country has to offer. When an international student makes the decision that they would like to study in the United States, they will have to apply for a student visa. 

Once the applicant is accepted by a school that offers the Student and Exchange Visitor Program, they will be eligible to apply for a student visa. There are two different types of visas that a student may apply for if they wish to come to the U.S. temporarily to further their education. They can either apply for an M visa or an F visa. An M visa is for nonacademic institutions, such as vocational school. F visas are for the majority of others schools, like universities, high school, private elementary school, conservatory, language training programs, and other academic institutions.

Student applicants who are between the ages of 13 and 80 will have to attend an interview for their visa. They will have to provide a number of different documents at the interview, including:

  • A passport that will be valid through the stay and 6 months past it (with some exceptions)
  • A Form DS-160 confirmation page (nonimmigrant visa application)
  • A photo unless attached to the DS-160 form
  • A certificate of eligibility for an F-1 or M-1
  • Form I-20
  • An application fee receipt
  • Diplomas
  • Degrees
  • Transcripts
  • Standardized test scores

If you are a student that wishes to study in the United States and have questions about the application process, contact our firm today.

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has over 25 years of experience guiding clients through a variety of immigration legal matters, some of which include deportation defense, petitions, and waivers. If you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney with the skill to effectively represent you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More