The United States allows permanent residents to petition for their relatives to come to the country as long as they are able to financially support them. However, it is important to learn about all of the steps that must be taken in order to have a successful petition to bring the family member to the United States. The USCIS only permits individuals to petition for certain individuals, including their spouse and unmarried children of any age. If the individual has married children, they cannot petition for them until they are a U.S. citizen.

A successful petition requires an individual not only to prove that they will be able to provide financial support for the relative upon their arrival but also that the relationship between the permanent resident and the family member is legitimate. If it turns out that the petitioner cannot provide financial support for the family members they wish to bring over, they will have to find another party to be a financial sponsor.

Another important factor to be aware of is that unmarried children who are over the age of 21 will have a waiting time once the relative petition is filed. Younger children typically do not have to wait in line.

If you have questions about immigration, contact us today.

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has over 25 years of experience guiding clients through a variety of immigration legal matters, some of which include deportation defense, petitions, and waivers. If you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney with the skill to effectively represent you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More