When an individual wishes to come to the United States for employment purposes, it is important that they take some time to determine the necessary visas that best fit their situation. There are several different employment-based “preference” categories by which the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services issues Green Cards. The three categories are as follows:

  1. First preference (EB-1) are┬áconsidered “priority workers” and include foreign nationals who have an extraordinary ability in fields such as the arts, sciences, education, business, or athletics; outstanding researchers or professors; and certain multinational executives and managers
  2. Second preference (EB-2) goes to foreign nationals who are professionals with advanced degrees or have an exceptional ability to perform in their field
  3. Third preference (EB-3) goes to skilled workers, professionals, and all other workers

Each of these three preferential categories has its own set of requirements that must be met in order to be considered for an employment-based Green Card. For example, skilled workers in EB-3 must be able to show that they have at least two years of job training or experience. In addition, this individual must prove that they have a labor certification and a permanent, full-time job offer.

If you have questions about the requirements for obtaining a Green Card for employment reasons, contact our firm today.

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has over 25 years of experience guiding clients through a variety of immigration legal matters, some of which include deportation defense, petitions, and waivers. If you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney with the skill to effectively represent you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More