One of the primary goals that many people have when they begin the immigration process is to become a naturalized citizen of the United States. Becoming a citizen isn’t an easy process but most people find that it is one of the most rewarding things they will ever accomplish. If you are considering becoming a naturalized citizen of the United States, it is important to be aware of the process that lies ahead of you.

Citizenship Eligibility

Not just anyone can apply for United States citizenship. There are requirements that an individual must meet in order to be considered eligible for citizenship. First, they need to meet the continuous residence status. For individuals who are the spouse of a U.S. citizen, they must live in the country for 3 years before becoming eligible for citizenship, 18 months continuously. Anyone who is currently in the United States as a permanent resident will have to wait 5 years and reside here for 30 months continuously.

The Naturalization Test

After an individual files a form N-400, which is the application for naturalization, they will have to attend an interview to discuss your application and your background and take a naturalization test. The naturalization test consists of a civics and government portion as well as a test regarding your ability to read, write, speak, and understand English.

The USCIS has a variety of resources to help applicants study for the naturalization test. If you pass the examination and have a successful interview, you will be able to obtain a Certification of Naturalization at a ceremony and officially become a U.S. citizen.

If you are an individual that is considering citizenship, it is important to work with an experienced immigration attorney that can guide you through the process. Contact our firm today for quality immigration law services.

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has over 25 years of experience guiding clients through a variety of immigration legal matters, some of which include deportation defense, petitions, and waivers. If you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney with the skill to effectively represent you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More