Individuals who wish to legally live and work in the United States but were originally from another country will need to obtain a Green Card. These are also frequently referred to as Permanent Resident Cards.

Green Card Application Process

There are a number of different qualifications that must be met in order to be eligible for a Green Card. When it does come time to apply for a Green Card, the application process depends heavily on the individual’s particular situation. Most people will have to have a sponsor file a petition on their behalf. Some of these petitions may include the following categories:

  • Petition for Alien Relative
  • Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker
  • Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition
  • Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal
  • Petition for Amerasian, Widow, or Special Immigrant
  • Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur
  • Petition of U Nonimmigrant Status
  • Petition for Qualifying Family Member of a U-1 Nonimmigrant

Another factor that must be considered when determining eligibility is whether the individual needs to have their status adjusted because they are inside of the United States or if they are outside of the country and need to apply for Consular Processing with the U.S. Department of State.

Once a Green Card or visa application is filed with the Department of State, the applicant has to attend a biometrics appointment. This is where the individual will have fingerprints, photos, and a signature taken. Then, they will have to go to an interview regarding why they would like to obtain a Green Card for the United States. Finally, the USCIS will give a decision on the application.

If you have questions regarding the Green Card process in the United States, contact our firm today.

The Law Office of Neal Richardson Datta has over 25 years of experience guiding clients through a variety of immigration legal matters, some of which include deportation defense, petitions, and waivers. If you require the services of an experienced immigration attorney with the skill to effectively represent you, contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blogs

  • When does the 3-10 year bar go into effect?
    Read More
  • Who qualifies for the O-1A visa?
    Read More
  • What steps can I take to get a student visa?
    Read More